Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Beowulf Response Thingy

*Beowulf says, "Fate saves the living when they drive away death by themselves"
Beowulf mainly does all the work while his men help a little bit once in a while. God does nothing for him throughout the story. It is mainly Beowulf, his strength, and his chain mail shirt that do all the work. We determine what happens to us, God usually intervenes at times that we wouldn't want him to intervene. Fate and God only determine where we will be when we die (heaven or hell). All the in between stuff is made by us. God is usually just a watch maker type of god. Lets it run by itself while checking on it once in a while to make sure it is keeping time. I win because of all the effort and the training that I have done. Fate doesn't save us, we save ourselves in daily situations not in the salvation term.
*got kinda random right about here
God comes to help when I don't want him but when I feel I really need him, he is nowhere to be found.

We must be men of action, take hold of life instead of life taking hold of us. We mustn't sit around and do nothing rather we should be doing something of value.

It is better for a Christian to challenge their faith instead of not growing at all. If he stays the same then he never learns more about God or loves God more but is instead an insult to Him because he does nothing about his faith. God spits out the lukewarm so I would rather be completely with God or completely against God.

Oh God where art thou, where art thou?
I need you now, I need you now.
Oh God where art thou, where art thou?
It is too late now, oh it is too late now
For you to come save me now.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Sam-- thanks for going out on a limb and saying these honest words. The fact that you're truly engaging this matter and not just shrugging and ignoring the troubling bits about faith is necessary, I think, if a faith is ever going to be real.

    On the Beowulf note, there's actually quite a bit of diction that indicates God was helping and blessing Beowulf the whole time.

    "God usually intervenes at times that we wouldn't want him to intervene." Would be interested to hear this elaborated upon. God has told me "NO" before when I had begged for a "YES," but in hindsight... I've often realized that the NO was far kinder than a YES would have been. Does that make sense? Like, in seeing things play out... sometimes I'm very thankful that the intial disappointment occurred.

    I highly, highly, highly-- like, extremely, adamantly, vehemently-- recommend you go to the Josh McDowell thing. See how his words hit you.

    And thanks again for the transparency.

    9/10

    ReplyDelete